South Africa, 19th century
2005 - 2007
♜ Fort West is located 12km from Pretoria. It holds several witnesses of local cultural heritage. It is a fort of the South African Republic that was conceived by a French engineer and built in 1897-98. It is therefore built in the French military style. Several indigeneous ruins are spread on the estate as well as British fortifications. The village of Fort West used to be a leper and psychiatric hospital.
The French ambassy in South Africa wanted to promote the historical bonds between both countries and Fort West was a great symbol for this action. Moreover it was the occasion of promoting cultural heritage. Indeed the aim of the worksite was also to transmit the association's knowledge about conservation and valuation of heritage and to set projects of volunteering for youngsters. It was also a way of offering new opportunities and promoting social and cultural diversity.