Listed "Historical Monument" in 1926
Protected area in the program Natura 2000
NOVEMBER 6 2017 to juLY 5 2018
This long-term worksite concerns volunteers of the Civic Service
♜ Montreuil is at the comercial crossroads of England and the fairs of Champagne. It is fortified in the 9th century and is a royal castle of the Capetians. It is then regularly reworked until today.
The following elements of the fortifications can still be seen today and are witnesses of the evolution of the fortification :
- The fortified gate with its tow towers, from the reign of King Philippe II Auguste (1179-1223)
- The star-shaped wall demanded by Charles IX in the 16th century
- The improvements made between the 17th and the 19th century, especially by Vauban in 1670.
During WWI the citadel hosts the British telecommunication headquarters ; during WWII it is requisitioned by the Germans. At this time the bastion at the feet oh Queen Berthe Tower becomes a military cemetery. In 1944 the citadel becomes a jail for ordinary prisoners.
Between the wars the place was listed "Historical Monument" in 1926.
In 1929 the city bought the citadel.
Conservation, stabilization and restoration of the covered way and the powder magazine
Plants removal, cleaning and pointing of joints
Masonry work and repointing
18 years old minimum
The association ensures the technical and pedagogical direction of the missions granted to the volunteers.
This worksite is sustained by the association of towns around Montreuil (Communauté d'Agglomération des Deux Baies en Montreuillois).