LA PLAINE SAINT-ANDRÉ ESTATE

Mahé Island, Republic of Seychelles

 september 2nd to december 20th, 2013

Seychelles
Seychelles

Seychelles
Seychelles

Seychelles
Seychelles

Seychelles
Seychelles

1/4

 The estate was created in 1792. It is composed of diverse buildings that are characteristic of primitive colonial constructions. Those were built by the kingdom of France by the end of the 18th century so as to ensure boats' supplying along the routes to India. Among the buildings there is a master's house and around it, many annexes. Eastwards we can find a kitchen, sanitary facilities, a lime kiln, a pond, outbuildings...that correspond to domestic activities. Northward there are other outbuildings : the Boys House, a stocking hut and a carriage shed. The main infrastructures for crafting are located southward from the master's house : warehouses, stoves, mills, tortles paddock and the Small White House (Petit Pavillon Blanc). Finally, irectly on the sea front, a boat shed completes this colonial device.

 

The association intervened on the site at the request of the "Les Trois Frères" distillery and the Foundation for Heritage of the Seychelles. An archeological and historical study was set. It led to conservation, restoration and tourist valuing. 

Plants removal

Topographic and architecural surveys

Archeological excavations

Masonry work, stone dressing

For more INFORMATION please contact the Indian Ocean delegation