Hauts-de-France region, 13th-19th centuries
MArch 8th > November 7th 2021
This long-term worksite concerns volunteers of the Civic Service
♜ Montreuil is fortified in the 9th century and is a royal castle of the Capetians. It is then regularly reworked until today.
The following elements of the fortifications can still be seen today and are witnesses of the evolution of the fortification :
- The fortified gate with its tow towers, from the reign of King Philippe II Auguste (1179-1223)
- The star-shaped wall demanded by Charles IX in the 16th century
- The improvements made between the 17th and the 19th century, especially by Vauban in 1670.
During WWI the citadel hosts the British telecommunication headquarters ; during WWII it is requisitioned by the Germans. Between the wars the place was listed "Historical Monument" in 1926. The city bought the citadel in 1929.
Listed "Historical Monument" in 1926
Conservation, stabilization and restoration of the urban ramparts
Plants removal, cleaning and pointing of joints
Masonry work and repointing
16 years old minimum
The association ensures the technical and pedagogical direction of the missions granted to the volunteers.
This worksite is sustained by the association of towns around Montreuil (Communauté d'Agglomération des Deux Baies en Montreuillois).